09.01.2020: Gokulam Kerala 2-3 Chennai City (FT)
CCFC : Adolfo Miranda 44', Protivo Raju 54', Shri ram 77'
GKC : Md. Rashid 80', Shibi Mohammad 90+2'.

09.01.2020:  Gokulam Kerala <b><font color=red> 2-3 </b></font> Chennai City (FT)

GKFC : Naocha Singh, Haroon Amiri, ANDRE DENNIS, Mohamed Irshad, JUDE GARCIA, MUHAMMAD RASHID , Vigneshwaran Baskaran, SEBASTIAN THANGMUANSANG, Lalromawia, Henry Kisekka, Marcus Joseph,


09.01.2020:  Gokulam Kerala <b><font color=red> 2-3 </b></font> Chennai City (FT)

Hero I-League, today, witnessed a nail-biting encounter as the fight for southern supremacy saw Chennai City FC defeat Gokulam Kerala FC 3-2 at the EMS Corporation Stadium in Kozhikode. The match saw three marching orders and five goals much to the interest of 19-thousand odd crowd at the EMS Corporation Stadium, who found it rather hard to take their eyes off the game after a slow first half.

The first half started on a dull note as both the teams were failing to gain any momentum. Neither Chennai nor the home side Gokulam was picking up the pace as the build-up play was very slow from both the teams. In the 24th minute, Gokulam got a free-kick just outside the box and Marcus Joseph took the shot straight to the keeper. In the 33rd minute, another chance came for Gokulam when a ball from the right flank into the box was met by a weak header by Henry Kisekka and it was easily cleared by the Chennai keeper.

Chennai who was looking out of sorts for most of the half brought in a change as Pravitto Raju, a midfielder came on for Tarif Akhand in the 37th minute. A change in the formation worked wonders for Chennai as a through ball from the left side of the mid-field went through three Gokulam defenders and Fito Miranda was there to receive it.

In the 45th minute, he very swiftly put the ball passed the Gokulam keeper and Chennai was ahead against the run of play with the Gokulam defenders left to appeal helplessly for an offside. The goal pumped in renewed energy and Adolfo Miranda was again in the thick of things, his through ball was met by Katsumi Yusa’s run and a shot which was saved by the home team keeper.With no further goal in the half, Chennai went into the half leading 1-0 against the Kerala outfit.

The play resumed and Gokulam was on the attack. In the 51st minute, a chance came the way of Marcus Joseph from a lob over the defenders but poor control let him down and Santana made a good save to keep him out.In the 55th minute, things went from bad to worse for Gokulam as a mistake in the midfield set up a counter for Chennai. Katsumi got the ball and passed it to Adolfo Miranda whose shot was stopped the Gokulam keeper but off the rebound, Pravitto Raju made no mistake and his left-footed shot put the visitors 2-0 up in the match.

Gokulam had no other option but to attack to make something out of the match. In the 73rd minute, Marcus Joseph got a free-kick just outside the box and a beautiful curling shot was saved by a diving Santana to his right. Another chance came three minutes later when Henry Kisseka made a brilliant run and but a Marcus Joseph effort was fended away by Santana.The save set off a counter-attack and Syed Suhail Pasha led from the front in the attack. With some great skills inside the box he turned the defender inside out and a perfectly placed low cross at the feet of Sriram B, who tapped in the third goal for Chennai with 77 minutes ticking on the clock.

Gokulam, though, pulled a goal back very soon, in the 81st minute, as Shibil Muhammed’s shot from outside the box found the back of the net. The score now stood at 3-1 in favour of Chennai.An unfortunate even though took place as a head-on collision between Bhaskaran and a Chennai attacker ended up with the Kerala goalkeeper being taken off the field in an ambulance. With no substitutions left, Gokulam was down to 10 men and Amiri put on the gloves.

It was the edge of the seat stuff and a free-kick for Marcus Joseph in the 90th minute from the left side of the Chennai box found the substitute Shibil Muhammed again and he made no mistake scoring the second for the home team as well as himself.Gokulam was losing their cool now, as an uncalled temper tantrum by Mohamed Irshad in the added time earned him a second yellow. Within a minute, Gokulam were down to eight men when Haroon Amiri joined in the act with a rash tackle on Sriram.

The roller coaster continued, as it was now Chennai’s turn for inviting a send-off. Mashoor Shareef, who came with just five minutes left in the regulation time, earned his second yellow card within just ten minutes of being on the field.It was intense and there was more drama to unfold as Henry Kisseka got a golden chance with moments to go before the end of the match, but his shot went just wide of the post. The match, which gave the impression that it won’t end finally came to a closure with Chennai escaping narrowly with a 3-2 win.Chennai City Sriram B won the Hero of the Match award. Chennai City, with eight points from six matches, have now risen to fourth in the Hero I-League table.

CCFC : Syed Suhail Pasha 47'
MOM :Danish Farooq (REAL KASHMIR)

26.12.2019 :REAL KASHMIR <b><font color=red> 2-1 </b></font> CHENNAI CITY FC (FT)



AIFF PRESS RELEASE : Real Kashmir FC registered their first win of their Hero I-League season, as they went on to defeat defending champions Chennai City FC 2-1 at the TRC Ground, Srinagar on Thursday, December 26. Danish Farooq gave the hosts the lead before Bazie Armand doubled their advantage. Syed Suhail Pasha pulled one back for the visitors, but the Snow Leopards held on to bag all three points.

26.12.2019 :REAL KASHMIR <b><font color=red> 2-1 </b></font> CHENNAI CITY FC (FT)

David Robertson made just a couple of changes to his previous line-up. Singam Subash Singh started upfront at the expense of Gnohere Krizo, who made the bench. At the back, Bazie Armand was given the nod ahead of Dalraj Singh, in what seemed like a 3-5-2, reminiscent of a modern-day catenaccio. Chennai City, despite not hitting full throttle in the league yet, made just one change. Akbar Nawas named Pradison Marivadasan in his starting eleven, with Bijay Chhetri making way for him. Back in front of their Srinagar faithful, it was Kashmir who kicked-off proceedings, being firmly in the driving seat. Their quick and fluidic, yet disciplined passing and movement was almost too much for Chennai to handle in the early stages.

The first glaring opening of the match arrived in the seventh minute, when a beautiful cross delivery from Kallum Higginbotham found Mason Robertson, who tries an audacious chip over Nauzet Garcia Santana, but the Chennai custodian exhibited quick reflexes to deny him. Real Kashmir kept the pressure on, not allowing the Southerners a moment’s respite. In the 13th minute, some smart footwork by Danish Farooq, followed by an exquisite rabona flick with his weaker foot put Higginbotham through down the right. The Englishman bulldozed his way into the six-yard box and passed it across goal for Mason Robertson to tap it into an open net, but the ever so reliable Scot made a total hash of it, flicking it over instead which again fell to a lurking Bazie Armand and to everyone’s surprise, he missed the target too.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 22nd minute, when an exquisite set-piece delivery from Higginbotham found Danish Farooq in the box, who waved off his marker and made just the right contact with his head, to give Real Kashmir the lead through a clinical header. Santana got a hand to it, but the sheer venom in the header took it past him. The hosts were turning on the style and doubled their lead in the 27th minute. Yet again, it was Higginbotham who was involved in the mix. He cut inside on the left, which created some space for him to deliver another immaculate delivery into the eighteen box and Bazie Armand was at the right place and at the right time to soar the highest and head it into the top corner, leaving Santana stranded between the sticks.

Kashmir almost added a third in the 39th minute, when Mason Robertson was through yet again and with Roberto Eslava on his toes, he took it past the Chennai skipper and fired across goal aiming for the far post, but it sailed inches wide, much to Akbar Nawas’ relief as Real Kashmir headed into half-time with a two-goal cushion. Chennai City came out in the second half, knowing very well that they need to pull one back sooner rather than later.

The visitors put their half-time team talk into practice when they reduced the deficit in the 48th minute. A cheeky back flick by Pravitto Rajju generated just the right elevation for Jockson Dhas to head it past Phurba Lachenpa in the Kashmir goal to bring the game right back in the balance. Despite Chennai’s newfound surge, it was Kashmir however who looked likelier to score the next goal. In the 68th minute, the game should have been put to bead but Loveday Okechukwu, who was completely unmarked failed to tap in another Higinbotham set-piece, blasting it high and wide. In the closing stages of the game, the visitors failed to stitch together any real threat as the Snow Leopards held on to register their first win of their Hero I-League campaign, duly rewarding the Srinagar aficionados who braved the cold to get firmly behind their team.

The win takes Real Kashmir to seventh place in the Hero I-League standings with five points, while the defending champions drop to eighth place with the same tally, but with an inferior goal difference of -2.

21.12.2019: CHENNAI CITY FC 2-2 NEROCA FC (FT.)
CCFC : Katsumi Yusa (p-27'), Mashoor Shereef 38'
NFC : Khaiminthang Lhungdim 45+3', Boubacar Diarra ( p-65')
MOM : Khaiminthang Lhungdim ( NEROCA FC )
21.12.2019: CHENNAI CITY FC <b><font color=red> 2-2 </b></font> NEROCA FC (FT.)

NFC: Marvin Devon, Ousmane Diawara, Taryk Sampson, Sushil Meitei, Khaiminthang Lhungdim, Zodingliana, Siam Hanghal, Johnson Singh, CHANSO HORAM, Boubacar Diarra, Yawo Zico Sekle

AIFF PRESS RELEASE : Neroca FC came back strongly from 2-goal deficit to register a 2-2 draw against Chennai City FC at the JLN Stadium in Coimbatore tonight (December 21, 2019). Following the draw, Chennai City remain seventh on the table with five points and Neroca FC stay one place below with four points.

Chennai City FC started the game on a positive note with dominating possession from the onset. They started with an unchanged line-up from the match against Aizawl FC as the trio of Fito, Pedro Manzi and Sandro were unavailable for the match. After launching attacks relentlessly on Neroca goal for the first 25 minutes, it seemed Neroca’s defence would hold on till the end of the half, but eventually, they faltered. It was Katsumi Yusa who was fouled by a Neroca defender inside the box and Chennai got a golden chance to go ahead.

In the 26th minute, Katsumi Yusa stepped up to take the penalty and converted with finesse. Chennai went 1-0 up. Much time didn’t pass by as Chennai were growing more in confidence. With the clock striking 32 minutes, a beautifully built up play from the back and an inch-perfect cross into the box by Jockson Dhas found Mashoor Shereef inside the box, who didn’t make any mistake and headed the ball into the goal from close.

With Chennai leading 2-0, it was now up to Neroca to make a comeback before they head into half-time. Both coaches made some changes within the first half as Neroca brought on Gaty Kouami on for his compatriot Yawo Zico. Chennai coach Akbar Nawas brought in Ranjeet Singh for young Bijay Chhetri.With Chennai City FC poised to go into the second half with a two-goal lead, Neroca FC struck in 45+3’ min as a header from under-22 midfielder Khaiminthang Lhungdim got one back for Neroca FC. The score at half-time stood at 2-1 in favour of Chennai City FC.

The play resumed and Neroca stepped up the pressure on Chennai. Even after playing a more pressing game Neroca wasn’t able to break the defence, but a careless mistake by the Chennai defence lead to a foul inside the box on Boubacar Diarra and penalty was awarded. He himself stepped up and scored from the spotkick to level the score at 2-2 with the clock ticking 65 minutes.

Chennai were not ready to let it go and switched the gear but none were able to edge past the Neroca Captain and keeper Marvin Devon Phillip. In the 82nd minute, Chennai launched a counter-attack and a perfect cross from the right-wing for Chennai ended at the feet of Katsumi but he couldn’t control the ball and the chance went begging.

Within a few moments, Katsumi again found him one-on-one with Neroca keeper but this time the keeper came out victorious. Phillip had a couple of heart-in-the-mouth situations but the hosts were not able to exploit those situations. In the 90th minute, Neroca made their final change to ensure that score stays the same as defender Dhananjoy Singh replaced Siam Hanghal. Neroca finally managed to hold on as the match ended in a 2-2 draw.

17.12.2019: Aizawl FC 1-1 Chennai City FC (FT..)
AFC: Lalnunfela 9'
CCFC: Roberto Eslava 40'
MOM : William Lalnunfela ( AIZAWL FC)

AFC: Lalremruata, Kassaga, Rochharzela, Paul, Isak, Joe, Sissoko, Alfred, Lalrosanga, Lalramhmunmawia, Lalnunfela
CCFC: Nauzet, Bijay, Roberto Eslava, Mashoor, Katsumi, Charles, Pravitto, Ajith, Jockson, Sriram, Jishnu.

This will be the first ever I-League match in floodlights at Rajib Gandhi Stadium in Aizawl. In match 20 of Hero I-League 2019-20, Aizawl FC and Chennai City FC split spoils in a hard-fought encounter played at the Rajiv Gandhi Stadium today (December 17, 2019). Aizawl FC, in spite of having only 42% of the ball possession, looked more threatening for most of the match although they couldn’t find the winning goal.For Aizawl FC, William Lalnunfela scored in the 9th minute before Chennai City FC skipper Roberto Eslava drew the parity from the penalty spot in the 40th minute.

First half started with Chennai City FC looking the more fluent of the teams in the initial minutes. Aizawl FC, took a little time but they were soon in their groove. First major chance was created by Aizawl captain Alfred Jaryan who ran through the Chennai City defence and with an inch-perfect through ball released William Lalnunfela who didn’t make any mistake to put the Reds in front inside first 10 minutes.

In the 18th minute, Chennai got a free-kick outside the Aizawl box on the left and Katsumi delivered immaculately to his teammate but to Chennai’s dismay, the header didn’t find the target. Chennai’s relentless attacks were on and Ajith Kumar, after receiving a pass from Eslava, launched a long shot in the 35th minute. The lung-busting effort just went a whisker wide of the post.

As it was looking that the hosts would be going into the breather with a slender lead, Katsumi Yusa earned a penalty owing to a handball by Paul inside the Aizawl box. Eslava stepped up to take the spot-kick and cancelled Aizawl FC’s lead five minutes to the end of the regulation time. After the resumption, Lalnunfela again came agonisingly close to regain the lead but his shot went just wide. In the 76th minute, Chennai earned a corner but the header from Ajith went begging.

It was Aizawl again as in the 79th minute when the young midfielder Rochharzela showed exceptional skill to run past Chennai defenders but, only the goalkeeper left to be beaten, he squandered the golden opportunity. Barely three minutes later, Lalnunfela missed the target when he missed to tap in from handshaking distance. With the draw, Aizawl FC stay sixth with five points from four matches whereas Chennai City remain seventh having amassed one point fewer from three games.

10.12.2019 : PUNJAB FC -( 3-1 ) - CHENNAI CITY (FT.)
CCFC : Pedro Manzi 85'
PFC : Dipanda Dicka 78', Thoiba Singh 87', Serjio Barbosa 90+1'.
MOM : Kiran Kumar Limbu - PUNJAB FC - GK

 10.12.2019 : PUNJAB FC -(<b><font color=red> 3-1 </b></font> ) - CHENNAI CITY (FT.)

PFC : Kiran Kumar Limbu, Danilo Augusto, ANWAR, CAVIN LOBO,, Sergio Barboza, Jason Stewart Hart, Sanju Pradhan, Thoiba Singh, SAMUEL SHADAP, Munmun Lugun,, Girik Khosla.

CFC : NAUZET SANTANA, ROBERTO E, Mashoor Shereef, Katsumi Yusa, Charles Anandraj, AJITH KUMAR. PEDRO Manzi, Jockson Dhas, Sriram B, MARTON EUGENE, PRADISON MARIYADASAN

AIFF PRESS RELEASE : Punjab FC overcame defending champions Chennai City FC in spectacular fashion by defeating them 3-1 at the Guru Nanak Stadium, Ludhiana on December 10, 2019. The hosts took the lead through substitute Dipander Dicka in the 78th minute before Pedro Manzi equalized for the visitors in the 85th minute. Punjab were rewarded for their sheer persistence, through late goals from Thoiba Singh and Sergio Barboza to register their first win of the 13th Hero I-League season.

Punjab head coach Yan Law made a host of changes from his side that drew 1-1 at home with Quess East Bengal. Anwar Ali returned to the line-up after having served his one-match suspension. Aser Dipanda Dicka started on the bench while Jason Hart returned to the eleven. Akbar Nawas, on the other hand, fielded a conventional 4-3-3, looking to cause trouble to the Punjab full-backs. He made only one change from his Chennai City line-up that won 1-0 at home against TRAU FC, with Shem Martin Eugene starting in place of Fito Miranda.

 10.12.2019 : PUNJAB FC -(<b><font color=red> 3-1 </b></font> ) - CHENNAI CITY (FT.)

Both sides kicked-off proceedings with serious attacking intent, looking to capitalise on the slightest of lapses. In the ninth minute, it was Punjab who came close to taking the lead. A deflected Calvin Lobo attempt on goal almost wrong-footed Chennai goalkeeper Nauzet Garcia Santana but the Spaniard did well to recover and make the save. Punjab were threatening while in possession, stitching together forward passes while Chennai displayed a calmer approach by playing out from the back.

Punjab had a golden opportunity before the break in the 39th minute when Sergio Barboza, with only the keeper to beat, failed to find the back of the net, rather producing another good save out of Garcia Santana. Dipanda Dicka was introduced in the second half having replaced Girik Mahesh Khosla in the 56th minute. The substitution paid dividends, when in the 78th minute, Dicka leapt highest to meet a corner from Sanju Pradhan, as Punjab took the lead with twelve minutes to play.

The visitors, despite falling behind, didn’t give up the chase. In the 85th minute, a seemingly speculative delivery into the box was met by Manzi, and he made no mistake in finishing it with fine aplomb to level the scores. Punjab had now conceded a late equaliser for the second game running, but the complexion of the match turned on its head soon. A late scramble in the Chennai City box was fully capitalised on by Thoiba Singh, and the 16-year-old embarked on a celebration of a lifetime to restore his side’s lead.

The icing on the cake was added in the first minute of stoppage time. With four minutes added on, Makan Winkle Chote found himself in some space on the right flank which prompted him to deliver one inside the box, and the delivery was met spectacularly by a diving header from Sergio Barboza, who made it 3-1 for the hosts in spectacular fashion. The win takes Punjab FC to the fifth place in the Hero I-League table with 4 points, while Chennai City slip to sixth.

01.12.2019 : CHENNAI CITY FC 1-0 TRAU FC ( FT.)
CCFC : Pedro Manzi 50'
MOM : Pedro Manzi ( Chennai City)
CCFC : GARCIA SANTANA, ROBERTO E, Mashoor Shereef, Adolfo Miranda, Katsumi Yusa, Charles Anandraj, AJITH KUMAR, PEDRO Manzi, Jockson Dhas, Sriram B, PRADISON MARIYADASAN


01.12.2019 : CHENNAI CITY FC <b><font color=red> 1-0 </b></font> TRAU FC ( FT.)

AIFF PRESS RELEASE : Defending champions Chennai City FC (CCFC) started their title defence in a solid manner as they defeated debutants TRAU FC via a solitary goal by Hero of the Match Adolfo Miranda at a rain-soaked Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium in Coimbatore, on Sunday, December 1, 2019. The match kicked-off with the defending champions and the debutants lining up in 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 formations respectively as both teams implemented major impetus on attack.

The first half started at a fast pace and TRAU got an early free-kick in the attacking third, but CCFC’s Roberto Eslava cleared the ball in the box safely. CCFC were building patiently from the back and their new signing Katsumi Yusa was already creating problems down the left flank with some skilful and deceptive movement.

The home side soon started showing their class as last season’s joint top scorer Pedro Manzi went very close to getting the team in front as his header went over the post. With 30 minutes on the clock, it was an exquisite move by the defending champions as captain Manzi headed it straight at the goal post from a cross by Charles, but to the crowd’s disappointment, the ball didn’t go in.

In the dying moments of the half, Chennai again came close to scoring. This time, it was Katsumi, whose shot from close range on the near post went just wide. Despite Chennai’s dominance, the first half ended with both teams locked at 0-0. The second half started similarly with Chennai City FC dominating the play. It was in the 49th minute, when the breakthrough came from a mistake by the TRAU defence, as a miscued clearance gave Chennai’s new signing Miranda an easy chance to tap it over the goal line.

Soon after, Chennai could have easily gone clear by two goals when a brilliant run by Katsumi led to an even better cross straight at the head of the unmarked Mashoor Shereef. However, poor finishing denied him of his first I-League goal as his effort went just wide of the post. It was attack after attack by the home team, but Akbar Nawas’ charges kept falling short of adding to their lead. Goalkeeper Gurpreet denied Pedro Manzi his first goal of the season.

With 15 minutes to go in the match, TRAU made two changes in order to make things happen as they brought on Deepak Devrani and Abinash Ruidas. However, Chennai dominated the game till the end, coming close to scoring the second many times. TRAU somehow survived the scare.Pedro Manzi could have closed the game once and for all in added time, but Gurpreet denied him once again, as he dived low at the near post to tip it away. CCFC finally wrapped up the game 1-0 to secure their first victory of the season.