GO HOME PAGE    4th Dr.T.AO" Memorial Trophy, Meghalaya - 2013


Dr. Talimeren Ao (T.Ao) Short Profile by kolkatafootball.com

Name : Dr. Talimeren Ao.
Born : 28th January, 1918
Birth Place: Changki Village, Mokokchung District Nagaland
Height : 5' 10"
Father's Name : Rev. Subongwati Ao
Position: Half Back
Nick Name : William
School : He was the First Boy of Impur Christian School and Captain of School Football Team and in (1937 he was the Best Footballer of All Assam Inter School Football Championship) then Jorhat Christian Mission School and also he was the Captain of School Football Team.
College : Cotton College of Guahati, Assam as a Science Student and also the Captain of College Football team.
Degree : MBBS from R.G.Kar Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata.(1950)
First Club : Maharana Club of Guahati, Assam.
Kolkata Club (1943-1952) : Mohun Bagan A.C and was the Captain for 1948 and 1949. He was the first NAGA community Captain of Mohunbagan. Under his leadership Carmichael Medical college won Elliot Shield in the year 1943. **** Mohun Bagan's great Defender Legendary Player Sarat Das brought T.Ao to Kolkata and Admitted him at Carmichael Medical college and placed the young talent to then Mohun Bagan's Official and Legendry footballer Abhilash Ghosh.
1948 - He was the Captain of First Indian Olympic Football Team (Barefooted) - LONDON Olympic. ** In the Olympic match India beat France 2-1 and barefooted T.Ao met then Queen Elizabeth II.
1951 - Played against Foreign Teams like Hongkong, Phillipines, Thaiiland, Singapore, Japan, France, Burma etc.

  • He was the winner of All Assam Inter School Athletic Meet in 1937.
  • In the year of 1946 and 1947 - He was the winner in Individual Championship Trophy at the Kolkata University Athletic Meet.
  • He was the first NAGA Community Sports Commissioner of India.
  • In 1968 he was selected a member of the All India Football Selection Committee and became a member of the All India Council of Sports and the Nagaland Sports Council.

    MOhun Bagan Ratna
    Mohun Bagan acknowleged his contribution and gave his " MOHUN BAGAN RATNA" award posthumously in 2002.

    Another Achivement: By honour Cotton College of Guwahati, Assam named their indoor Stadium after him.

    Death : 13th September 1998, in Kohima, Nagaland.


    The opening match played between Nagaland and Assam and the second match played between Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh under the floodlights for the first time in Shillong. The participating states include Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura besides host Meghalaya. The Tournament start from March 18 for the first time in Meghalaya in memory of the legendary footballer and will conclude on March 27.
    The first editions of the tournament were held in Nagaland where Manipur won the first then Manipur hosts for the 2nd Dr T. Ao Memorial Football Tournament from 2010 November 21 to 30 in Imphal where Manipur again won the the trophy. 3rd Football Tournament held at Sikkim from 2012 March 02-09 which won by Mizoram.


    Mizoram was held to a goalless draw by Manipur

    23.03.2013: MFA MEDIA: Mizoram was held to a goalless draw by Manipur in the final league match in Group B of Dr T Ao Memorial Football Tournament played at JN stadium, Polo on Saturday.

    Following of the outcome of this match, both Mizoram and Manipur have qualified for the semi-final from Group B after Tripura was held to a 2-2 draw by Sikkim during the first match of the day. Tripura needed to win to have any chances to qualify to the last four stage. Finally, Mizoram top the points table in Group B with 7 points while Manipur with five points took the second spot.

    In the semi-finalst to be played on Monday, Mizoram would take on Arunachal Pradesh while host Meghalaya would take on Manipur.Coming to the match, the first half was an evenly contest with both Mizoram and Manipur playing an agreessive game putting pressure on its opponents defence.

    During the initial part of the first half, both the teams failed to create any real scoring oppurtunities despite managing to penetrate into its opponents on numerous occasions.In the latter part of the half, Mizoram did manage to take control of the game.F Lalrinpuia nearly put Mizoram into the lead in the 39thminute after his strong left footer misses by the goal by a whisker.

    Three minutes later, Mizoram could have gone into the lead after Lal Bia Khula who was left unmarked misses a golden oppurtunity to score as he failed to put the ball into the net.The first half finally ended with both teams failing to score.

    After the break, Manipur started off the second half in an impressive manner by having maximum of the ball posession. Despite taking control of the match, Manipur failed to create any real scoring oppurtunities during the initial part of the half.Moreover, it was Mizoram who is playing a counter attack game nearly went into the lead after V Lal Tanpuia poweful strike from 20 yards away was brilliant save by Manipur custodian S Dinakumar.

    In the closing stages of the match, both teams tried very hard to go into the lead. Despite an entertaining contest, the contest ended in a goalles draw.


    Meghalaya beat Assam 3-0 to reach in the Semi Final.
    Goal Scorers: Greeting Wahlang 13min, Niwan O Gatphoh 40 min & Kerionald Pyngrope 83 min.

    22.03.2013: MFA RELEASE :Hosts Meghalaya reached the semifinals with a 3-0 win over Assam in the Dr T Ao Memorial Football Tournament in Shillong on Friday. Group A leaders Meghalaya started the match positively and a free kick halfway up the Assam half almost yielded a goal but Ronnie Nongbri's shot was put over the bar by Dulu Gogoi, the Assam goalkeeper.

    Greeting Wahlang put the home team ahead in the 12th minute by heading the ball into the net off a corner. It was fairly easy for him as he was not blocked by any Assam defender. Bickyson Kharkongor had a more difficult chance for another header. He received a lofted ball in the Assam box while running forward and his attempt went wide of the goal.

    In the 23rd minute, Niwan-O-Gatphoh came storming through and took a strong right footer, but it was blocked by Gogoi. Corner 31 minutes for Assam. Strong header my unmarked player, but the ball went wide. Assam, by no means, looked like the weaker side and they created numerous chances for themselves without success. The visiting team put Meghalaya's defence under a lot of pressure, with keeper Alwyn Patweth also having to perform at the top of his game.

    Wahlang came off for Milancy Khongstia in the 32nd minute. Despite scoring the first goal, he had made a couple of errors in his footwork. The home team doubled the lead in the 40th minute and they were slightly fortunate to do so. Close to the far line, Gatphoh squeezed out a fine angled shot, which the Assam goalie seemed to have covered, but the ball came off his body and sneaked over the goal line.

    Just on 45 minutes, Gatphoh sent the crowd into a tizzy with a cheeky attempt on goal, as he approached the post from the left side. He wanted to pass it to another Meghalayan player but couldn't find one, so he chipped it but it only found the side netting. Assam got the game going in the second half with a strong shot on goal that just went wide of the post seconds after the restart.

    The second half was relatively quiet, but Brolington Warlarpih shot over the crossbar in the 55th minute. And in the 70th minute, Teiborlang Siangshai was set up for a strike on goal from eight yards outside the Assam box, but the ball sailed over the crossbar. In the 76th minute Gogoi pulled off a terrific save where he had to leap into the air to stop the ball that was hammered by Warlarpih from just outside the box.

    The stalemate in the session was broken almost unexpectedly by substitute Kerionald Pyngrope in the 83rd minute. Meghalaya had advanced up the left flank and Pyngrope was in clear air outside the box. He set himself up and his beautiful left-footer sailed into the top corner with the keeper unable to do anything about it.

    The action continued on, but Assam were unable to respond and bowed out of the tournament. In the other game that was held at 1PM, Arunachal Pradesh beat Nagaland 2-1. Nyamar and Tadar scored for Arunachal Pradesh in the 17th minute and 34th minute respectively while Lipok Sasahi netted for Nagaland in the 42nd minute.



    21.03.2013 - MFA RELEASE : Defending Champions Mizoram registered a 3-0 win against Tripura in the Dr. T Ao Football Tournament which was played at the JN Stadium Shillong on Thursday. Mizoram are at the top of the Group B table and have booked a place for themselves in the semi-finals.

    After a goalless first half, it was Mizoram who took the lead when F. Lalrinpuia found the back of the net via a long range shot in the 64th minute. Although, Tripura had several chances but were not able to convert while Mizoram controlled the game and had more ball possession, and went on to score two more goals.

    Lal Lawnzuala doubled the advantage for his side when he netted in the 83rd minute. t was in extra time that Mizoram scored their third goal (90+2) after substitute Lal Chhuan Tlianga took the ball home in the 63rd minute.


    20.03.2013: MFA RELEASE : Meghalaya 4-0 Nagaland

    In the sixth match of the fourth Dr T Ao Memorial Football Tournament, hosts Meghalaya won their second consecutive match by beating Nagaland 4-0 at the JN Stadium, Shillong, on Wednesday. Meghalaya remain top of Group A, with Assam second, Arunachal Pradesh in third and Nagaland last.

    Nagaland were the team who seemed the more threatening in the first 20 minutes, continually creating plays that almost brought about a goal. In the fourth minute, Nagaland had an early chance after a good approach up the left flank. A cross into the box was pushed away by a diving goalkeeper Alwyn Patweth, but knocked into the path of Lipok Sashi, who attempted a shot on goal that went over the cross bar.

    In the next minute, Meghalaya's defenders were caught napping as Sakutemjen approached with the ball unguarded, but he kicked it tamely towards the goalie. Meghalaya finally came alive in the 16th minute with two chances. A fine shot by Khymdeit was deflected for a corner by the diving keeper, Vizovor Liezietsu, and the resulting corner also almost resulted in a goal but for a reflex block by a defender standing at the goal mouth.

    The home team started to lift the tempo after the half hour mark, constantly putting the opposition under pressure to the delight of the Meghalaya fans, who came out in good numbers to back their team. The attacks finally paid off in the 38th minute through a good level of craft. Niwan O Gatphoh ran the ball up the right flank, dodged past a defender and carefully passed it to Milton Kharsati who tapped the ball in from right in front of the net.

    In the very next minute Meghalaya doubled the score after Ronnie Nongbri chipped the ball forward for a waiting Donbok Khymdeit to go one-on-one with Liezietsu and the striker won through. The scoreline remained 2-0 going into the break. Nagaland showed that they can play attacking football and they had to reply in the second half.

    Nagaland made a costly error after the ball was taken off a defender by Gatphoh in the 54th minute. He passed the ball in to Milancy Khongstia in the box. His first attempt was blocked by the keeper, but he was there for the rebound and headed it in while diving over the custodian to make it 3-0. Khymdeit received a yellow card for a handball and then was soon fouled by Bielie Rio deep inside the Nagaland half on the left side. Rio was also booked.

    Nagaland made an interesting choice of substitution when Liezietsu was withdrawn and Mezhulhoukho came in his place to man the goal. He couldn't stop the hosts from scoring a fourth goal, however. A careless mistake by a Nagaland defender cost another goal in the 76th minute. The defender tried to clear the ball but miscued it and the ball was taken up the right flank by Meghalaya. A cross to Gatphoh saw him in clear air, but he waited just long enough to be surrounded by defender. Still, he got past them and a strong strike flew into the net past Mezhulhoukho.

    Norasius Kharumnuid took a good strike a few minutes later on goal, but the Nagaland custodian was able to stop this one with a dive to his left. It wasn't as though Nagaland didn't have their moments, especially in the first half, but some sloppy play let them down badly and helped Meghalaya come away with three points.


    4th Edition of Dr. T Ao Memorial Football Tournament Meghalaya : Meghalaya beat Arunachal Pradesh 3-0 in the opening day

    18.03.2013: ASSAM 2-0 NAGALAND
    18.03.2013: Meghalaya 3-0 Arunachal Pradesh

    MFA RELEASE: 18.03.2013 : The 4th edition of the Dr. T. Ao Memorial Football Tournament was inaugurated at the JN Stadium Shillong with a speech including the official launch of the floodlights by Meghalaya Chief Minister Dr. Mukul Sangma on Monday. B Diengdoh, Meghalaya Football Association General Secretary Larsing Ming Sawyan also were present and spoke at the occasion. In Other Match Assam came from behind to beat their rival the Nagaland state football team 2-0

    Meghalaya who took on Arunachal Pradesh displayed a stunning performance by winning 3-0 in the opening day of the Dr. T Ao Memorial Football Tournament on Monday at the JN Stadium Shillong. In the first half, it was the host who shared majority of the possession and looked dangerous right from the word go with Arunachal's defence showing some nerves as Meghalaya attacked right from the start and made their intentions clear.

    It was in the 10th minute that Niwan O Gatphoh had a good run up into Arunachal's defence but was not able to convert and there was a strong left foot shot by another Meghalaya player in the 13th minute, but only to see his shot go wide of the Arunachal goal. In the 16th minute, Ronnie Nongbri took a free kick 20 yards from the box but unfortunately shot wide. Gatphoh was understandably the star of the home outfit, sprinting around the field and indeed was always in the thick of the action.

    It was Meghalaya yet again with another chance when Bickyson Kharkongor took a long strike that caught the Arunachal keeper off guard as his strike hit the crossbar and bounced just in front of the goal line. And this however continued when Gatphoh and the keeper ran for the rebound, but the custodian got to the ball first. A minute later Gatphoh took a shot that struck the corner of the goal post for another near scoring opportunity.

    Donbok Khymdeit was also notable in Meghalaya's forays forward and, despite the continued missed chances, it seemed inevitable that the hosts would score eventually. What the home fans were waiting for finally came in the 28th minute when Teiborlang Siangshai gave the host the deserved lead when he had the ball in the box, and without being properly guarded, he struck the ball over the top past the goalie and this time the ball stayed low enough to find the back of the net.

    With hardly any action displayed by the guest it was Meghalaya who continued to press and push for another attempt on goal. Gatphoh took a strike just before 30 minutes and although the goalie fumbled, he collected the ball before either of two prowling Meghalaya players could reach the ball.

    Both teams kept the excitement levels high by throwing themselves into the attack, although it was the home team who had the best of the opportunities. The Arunachal outfit were guilty of not executing well on a number of opportunities when they got themselves into good positions.

    In the 35th minute, Arunachal's Mihin Pullo got past a number of Meghalaya defenders but was not able to pull off his strike on goal but he had to settle seeing his shot going wide off the post. Arunachal had another chance in the 41st minute via a free kick, but Techi Taker struck it over the crossbar.

    A free kick and a corner gave Meghalaya their last chance to increase their lead in the first half, but the session remained 1-0 in the host team's favour. Although the host dominated the half, Arunachal would have taken some solace that they had only conceded the one goal, while Meghalaya would have gone into the break brimming with confidence and eager to earn more goals.

    Crossing over, Meghalaya had more ball possession and earned a corner in 47th minute, but the ball was headed out by a Meghalaya player. Two minutes later, the visitors won a corner but Meghalaya custodian Alwyn Paswet ran forward to pluck the ball out of the air.

    Meghalaya doubled their lead in the 53rd minute when Milancy Khongstia, who went up the left flank and fired the ball while the goalie only partly stopped the shot, parrying the ball forward and Khongstia was able to take the rebound and send the ball into the net.

    Khongstia and Khymdeit were in action in the 65th minute, with the former taking the ball up the right flank, and then passing it neatly to Khymdeit in between Arunacha's defenders, but his powerful shot is properly shunted away by the goalie.

    The best opportunity for Arunachal came just a few minutes later when Pullo, on the left flank, shot the ball over the bar. The home crowd who came to watch their home team play under the newly inaugurated floodlights showed immense support for the Reds, and the lads in turn scored another powerful shot in the 87th minute via a free kick 4 yards from the box. Gatphoh who took the free kick, striked it beautifully, beating the diving keeper to make it 3-0.

    TEAMS and RESULT-2

    Defending champion Mizoram has made to the final of Dr T Ao Memorial Football Tournament

    MFA RELEASE : 25.03.2013: Defending champion Mizoram has made to the final of Dr T Ao Memorial Football Tournament after defeating Arunachal Pradesh by a solitary goal in the first semi-final played at JN Stadium,Polo on Monday. Mizoram would take on the winner of the second semi-final match to be played between host Meghalaya and Manipur later in the evening.

    Much to the dismay of the majority of the hundreds of the Mizoram supporters, minnows Arunachal Pradesh started off the semi-final contest in an electrifying manner. The Mizoram players lacks the flair and the consistency which was their trademark during the league matches. The Arunachal Pradesh players not only dominating the ball possession but also manages to create confusion among the Mizoram players during the intial part of the first half.

    Arunachal Pradesh could have gone into the lead in the 15th minute after striker Toko Polium made a great move from the left flung and then made a beautiful pass to Mihin Pullo whose powerful strike was brilliantly save by Mizoram custodian J Van Lal Hriata.

    After this missed oppurtunity by Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram started to play a more attacking game. After continuing to dominate the proceeding of the match, Mizoram got an excellent oppurtunity to go into the lead in the 27th minute after its skipper V Laltlanpuia took a powerful strike from outside the box, but the ball went straight to the goalkeepeTadu Taka who made no mistake to collect the ball.

    In the later part of the first half, Mizoram players continues to put pressure on the Arunachal defenders. Despite getting several oppurtunities to score, the Mizoram strikers could not capitalise on any of those and the first half finally ended with both teams failing to score.

    Within minutes after the break, Mizoram could have gone into the lead after an excellent ball from the right flung towards F Lalrinpuia whose strong right footer missed the goal by a whisker. Three minutes later, Arunachal Pradesh custodian made a major blunder as he failed to cleanly collect the ball and Larinpuia got an oppurtunity to put Mizoram into the lead, but his shot hit the cross bar.

    Five minutes later, Arunchal Pradesh got a real openings to score after Toko Taker shot saw the ball sailed over the cross bar. A minute later, Mizoram got another golden oppurtunity to score after Lal Rinch Hana header saw the ball sailed over the cross bar. Their hardwork finally paid off in the 74th minute, after subsitute Lalfawkama got a cross from the left flank who made no mistake to put the ball into net to give Mizoram a 1-0 lead.

    With the one goal advantage, Mizoram did not allow Arunachal Pradesh to come back into the match as they continued to dictate the pace of the game. Arunachal, despite showing a lot of fighting spirit, were guilty of making a few too many errors in the second half. They failed to hold onto the ball, which meant that they were scrambling in defence for much of the session.

    They managed to deny Mizoram another goal, but couldn't score one of their own and Arunachal thus fell in the semis and will have to content themselves with a shot for third place on Tuesday.


    23.03.2013: NFA RELEASE : Sikkim and Tripura played out a 2-2 draw

    Sikkim and Tripura played out a 2-2 draw in the Dr. T Ao football Tournament at the JN Stadium Shillong on Saturday. Sikkim took the lead when Tshering Zangpo Tamang striked a beautiful shot in the 16th minute and Bir Bahadur Pradhan doubled the advantage in the 24th minute.

    Jaladish Debbarma pulled one back for Tripura in the 35th minute and Anjel Jamatia levelled the score in the 54th minute. However, both teams fail to qualify to the semi-finals of the Dr.T Ao Football Tournament.



    21.03.2013: MFA RELEAsE :Three second half goals saw Manipur come from a goal behind to defeat Sikkim in the eighth match of the Dr T Ao Memorial Football Tournament at the JN Stadium, Shillong, on Thursday.

    There was good challenging play from Sikkim early on and they were more energetic in the field than their more fancied rivals, with every player playing his role perfectly. After threatening to score a number of times, Bir Bahadur Pradhan opened Sikkim's account in the match in the 16th minute. A cross from the right flank found Pradhan open in the box and he smashed a right-footer into the net for a well-deserved goal.

    Sikkim's defenders were also tight and were able to stifle Manipur as they pushed for the equaliser. A hard challenge by a Sikkim defender just three yards outside their own box saw Manipur with a good opportunity to level the scores with a free kick in the 34th minute. Kh Naoton took the shot, but it went wide of the left post.

    They then won a penalty in the 37th minute. A throw-in led to a goal mouth melee and a resulting foul on a Manipur player won them a golden chance. Md Sohail stepped up to take the shot, but Nim Tenzing Lepcha was up to the task, diving to his left. He blocked the ball and easily claimed the rebound.

    Two minutes of stoppage time did not see Manipur score, although they were the more attacking side. While they had the lead, Sikkim will have been wary after losing to Mizoram in their first match on Tuesday after leading 3-1 at one stage. After the restart Lalzarzo took a strong shot on goal, but the ball ricocheted off a defender and landed on top of the Sikkim net.

    After struggling for half an hour in search of their first goal, Manipur equalised in the 51st minute through O Pitlar. A long ball drew the Sikkim keeper forward but he couldn't collect cleanly and Pilar was on hand to fire the ball into the back of the net. Another chance in the 55th minute almost yielded the Manipur side the lead. Md Imran Khan took the ball up the right flank and neatly passed it to Naoton but the latter couldn't finish the job.

    Sikkim started to respond around the hour mark, but their plays were prone to errors that didn't exist in the first half. These errors came to cost Sikkim in the 69th minute when the diminutive Md Imran Khan bursts past a line of defenders who were caught napping following a long ball forward and, with only the keeper standing in his way, shot the ball into the back of the net to take his side 2-1 up.

    Naoton put the game out of reach of Sikkim with the fourth goal of the match in the 76th minute. The defence were slow to react once again and, with the keeper drawn out of the goalmouth, Naoton swerved around the opposition and put the ball into the net. This win will help Manipur in their search for a semifinal berth, following their 1-1 draw with Tripura on Tuesday. With two losses, Sikkim are effectively out of the tournament.


    Match Report: Manipur 1-1 Tripura

    19.03.2013: MFA RELEASE: The first match of group-B saw Manipur taking on Tripura, in what would be the best match of the tournament so far with both teams showing excellent football skill control, understanding where both teams create lot of chances but the excellent performance by both the goalkeeper denied both the teams the chance to score. The First half ended goalless.

    But in the second half Manipur began to dominate and their effort paid off when T.Raju long throw was headed home by Md. Sohail in the 62nd minute as Manipur was leading by 1-0.

    After this goal Tripura began to press hard missing on a few occasion but in the 75th minute a beautiful cross from the left flank saw Sukanta Jamatia volleyed home the equaliser. Manipur could have won the match when in the dying seconds miss the golden chance to secure all three points with just the goalkeeper to beat when his shot hits the bar and finally shared points with Tripura.

    Match Report: Mizoram 4-3 Sikkim

    19.03.2013: MFA RELEASE :: By no means a full house, but the crowd that did gather for the second match of Group B, featuring Mizoram and Sikkim, in the fourth Dr T.Ao Memorial Football Tournament were vocal in their support. Defending champions Mizoram's fans were in the majority and they came away happy after their team came from behind to win a thrilling contest 4-3 at the JN Stadium Shillong on Tuesday.

    It was a fast-paced match between two of the smallest North Eastern teams and Sikkim got the ball rolling by scoring on the first minute. Mizoram started haphazardly, with Sikkim scoring just on the first minute through Tshering Zangpo Tamang when he took the ball easily off a Mizoram defender and put it into the net. Sikkim then had a chance almost immediately, but the ball was shot wide.

    The Mizoram team then started to look a little more composed and began to attack more vigorously. Mizoram put the Sikkim keeper Nim Tenzing Lepcha under pressure a number of times but couldn't get the ball past him until the 28th minute. Lal Bia Khula received a lofted ball while unmarked. In the box, he kicked the ball to the right of the keeper and it hit the upright before going into the net.

    After claiming the equaliser, Mizoram would have wanted to turn the match in their favour, but Tamang put paid to that with his second goal just four minutes later. Having gotten past his marker, he neatly dabbed the ball from outside the box past the custodian J Van Lal Hriata.

    Mizoram had two further good chances towards the end of the first half but failed to convert. Mizoram pushed for the equaliser after the break, with the bulk of the opportunities coming their way, but they couldn't make them count. It was desperate defending by Sikkim that kept them at bay.

    Sikkim made things worse for their opponents with a goal to take them to 3-1 in the 58th minute. A handball gifted them a free kick from 12 yards out of the box. Skipper Milan Lepcha came up to take the shot and accurately fired it into the net.

    Credit went to Mizoram for never giving up. In the 71st minute they reduced the margin with a goal from Khula. Good passing between the players outfoxed the Sikkim defence and as the keeper was drawn forward, the ball was passed to Khula, who scored.

    Buoyed with that goal, Mizoram rarely conceded too much possession to the opposition. In the 79th minute Khula took the ball up the right flank and crossed it along the ground across the face of the goal for Lal Nun Mawia to ease it into the back of the net.

    Mizoram's fans were on their feet for the last few minutes and they celebrated raucously two minutes from normal time after a quick throw-in caught Sikkim's defence unawares and Mawia headed the ball in to make it 4-3.